If you’ve been thinking about selling your home, or you’re suddenly compelled to do so given today’s explosive sellers’ market, you’re not alone. Many savvy homeowners are taking advantage of the moment and there’s no time to waste in getting your home in tip-top shape and ready to sell. Here are a few things you can do to make your home stand out from the crowd, appeal to more buyers and sell quickly.
- Clear the Clutter. Clean out closets and storage areas to make these spaces seem more spacious. In each room, decide which items to keep, donate, store, sell or toss.
- A Fresh Perspective. Help prospective buyers envision your home as theirs. Depersonalizeit by removing family photos, sports memorabilia and personal knickknacks.
- At Face Value. Think about what minor home repairs and improvements you can implement to make a big impact on the selling price, such as replacing caulk or grout, updating ceiling fans and light fixtures or changing doorknobs and switch plates.
- Sparkle and Shine. Now is the time to put a little elbow grease into tidying up and reaping the rewards later. Showcase a well-maintained home to potential buyers by deep cleaning from top to bottom, including windows, ceiling fans, countertops, cabinets, appliances, carpets and floors.
- Neutral Territory. Return to neutrals when you’re ready to sell. A home accented in bold, bright colors or plain-Jane builder-grade white may leave some buyers feeling flat. Warm up the walls with welcoming neutrals and appeal to a broader audience. Read about Foolproof Paint Colors That Will Sell Your Home.
- At First Glance. The moment potential buyers see your home, an impression is formed, so make sure it’s a good one. Capture their attention with curb-appeal ideas: refresh exterior paint , pressure-wash walkways and patios, clean out gutters; trim trees and shrubs; weed and freshen mulch and add a pop of color with flowering plants.
- Scents of Smelliness. Don’t ignore unpleasant odors in the air. Pet smells, smoke-laden fabrics and mustiness inside a home can discourage buyers. Freshen up the atmosphere by steam cleaning sofas and chairs, dry cleaning window treatments, shampooing rugs and carpets, washing down surfaces and adding aroma dispensers to keep rooms smelling clean and fresh.
Turn these simple tips into more money in your pocket at selling time. A few quick fixes and some easy updates and you’ll be good to go.